Periodontics involves the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of gum diseases.
The word “Periodontal” means “ around the tooth”. Periodontal disease (also called gum disease, pyorrhoea or periodontal infection) is an ongoing bacterial infection in the gums and bone around your teeth. If left untreated, it can destroy the bone around your teeth resulting in tooth loss.
Periodontal infection is the cause of 75% of all adult tooth loss.
Symptoms of periodontal infection includes:
- Red or swollen gums
- Bad breath
- Bleeding when brushing or at other times
- Aching, itchy, sore or tender gums
- Pus between your teeth and gums when you press down on the gums
- Receding gums
- Any change in the fit of the partial dentures
- Loose, separating or protruding teeth
- Spaces start appearing between teeth
- Any change in the fit of teeth when you bite
The periodontal infection must be removed and the area given a chance to heal. Depend on the severity of infection, we do scaling, root planing or surgical therapy, in advanced cases.
Contact Orlin Dental Clinic for periodontics treatment